The plus side of working less is having more time to surf.
01. CONNECTION - How do you connect to nature? What was a specific moment that reminded you that you are part of the natural world?
The plus side of working less is having more time to surf. Any time I’m riding a wave, I feel lucky to have the ocean as my escape and am reminded of how important it is for my physical and mental health. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the ocean has been our saving grace through all this COVID craziness.
02. BALANCE - You put so many different things out into the world- design, illustration, art direction, and music. How do you find balance between the multitude of things that you do? Is there a universal theme underneath it all?
I’m a natural-born multi-tasker and planner (super Virgo), which allows me to juggle my different jobs and hobbies with ease. No matter how busy I am, I make sure to schedule in some “me” time to workout, surf, or do a quick shoot; that’s the key to me feeling my best!
03. TRADITION + ROUTINE - What is a tradition you honor from your heritage? What is a new habit you're just starting, or sticking with this month?
Ever since I was little, my family has been making mochi and enjoying ozoni soup at my grandma’s house on New Year’s Day. I always look forward to seeing my family come together, including outer-island aunties and uncles, and celebrating our Japanese heritage.
Lately, I’ve been brewing my own iced tea from leaves that a family friend in New York sent; perfect for those hot days. It’s not only helped save money, but been a fun experiment creating all kinds of refreshing concoctions!
04. CHALLENGE - What's challenging you right now? How are you rising to meet the challenge?
With the fashion and marketing industries taking a huge hit, not having a steady stream of work has been my greatest challenge. In the beginning I felt really anxious, but over time, I’ve come to accept it as an opportunity to reset and reevaluate what I do. The answer hasn’t revealed itself yet, but I’m open to the possibilities.
05. MOTIVATE - What gets you moving everyday? Is it physical exercise, creative expression, social engagement? Tell us about your chosen method of being active.
I try to do one active thing a day to clear my head and unplug. Pre-COVID, my daily exercise was always hot yoga. Unfortunately, with quarantine, I’ve had to find other activities that cleanse, motivate, and make me sweat the same way. Depending on how I feel, I’ll either surf, ride my Peleton, do a yoga class, or sometimes all three!
06. CULTURE - What creative media are front of mind for you right now? What’s one work you’d share from your reading list, Netflix queue, etc.?
I’ve made a conscious effort to match my screen time with reading time. Since March, I’ve read 15 books! One of my favorite reads so far is “The Silent Patient” by Alex Michaelides, a psychological thriller that had me hooked from the beginning. My top show picks would be “The Outsider” on HBO, “Kingdom” on Netflix, and “Normal People” on Hulu.